Monday, November 22, 2010

Roasted Fall Vegetables and Cornbread Stuffing




Oh my goodness, I have been cooking all day! How did this happen? It must be that time of the year again. I can't believe how fast this year is going and that Thanksgiving is just a few days away.

I thought I'd do a little test run of the stuffing I plan to make on Thursday and I also made some yummy veggies to go with it. I made biscuits too but those did not turn out as I expected. I think my problem was I rolled the dough out too thin. But that's okay, today was the day to make mistakes and learn from it. I would hate for this to happen on Thanksgiving day.

Have you guys started grocery shopping yet or do you wait til last minute? I did all my shopping yesterday and I am really excited to start cooking Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Well, I probably won't be back on here until after Thursday, so I am wishing you all the best and I hope that everyone has an amazing and special Thanksgiving!


Ingredients
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 3 carrots, cut into 1 inch thick circles
* 1/2 pound brussel sprouts, halved
* 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
* 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
* 1 Tb dried oregano
* 1 Tb dried rosemary
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 Tb black pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. Grease an 11 x 17 inch baking pan with olive oil.

3. Place vegetables in a large bowl and toss with herbs, salt and pepper. Pour the oil over the vegetables and toss well, making sure all the vegetables are coated. Add more oil if they still seem too dry.

4. Spread the vegetables evenly on the baking pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.


Cornbread Stuffing


Printer Friendly Recipe Here

Ingredients
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 3 celery, finely chopped
* salt and pepper
* about 5 cups of corn bread ( I used this recipe )
* 1 tsp sage
* 1 tsp thyme
* 1 cup vegan "chicken" broth, such as Better than Bouillon or vegetable stock

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until softened, about 8 minutes.

3. Season with sage, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir well and cook another 30 seconds.

4. Add cornbread and pour half a cup of broth over the stuffing, gently toss. If needed, add the other half cup of broth. The stuffing should feel moist but not wet.

5. Stuff into a "turkey" and place remaining stuffing into a casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 60 minutes, or until top is browned and crisp.

6 comments:

  1. Your roasted vegetables look so good. I'm choosing between Brussels sprouts and green beans for our Thanksgiving, but I wouldn't have thought to roast all those different vegetables together.

    I've been testing Thanksgiving recipes, too - but I'm still ready for the real thing! Too bad about the biscuits. I'm still working on the perfect vegan biscuit because I like cornbread/biscuit dressing over stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The veggies and the stuffing look and sound so good! I love roasted sprouts! I'm sure the rolls will come out perfectly on the day!

    I haven't started cooking for Thanksgiving yet, but I do have my shopping done.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too! Have fun, I'm sure it will be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it...everything you cook is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These vegetables are so enticing, Jacklyn! I love vegetables, but I wouldn't usually describe them as enticing (smile). Yours are though...
    Oh, and the cornbread stuffing sounds so wholesome and delicious too! Sounds like you guys are going to have a happy Thanksgiving, and I hope you do...
    p.s. I have limited internet access this week and no Photoshop, etc. So I'll be by as I can. Forgive me if I'm slow;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've come across a couple recipes recently that use cornbread as their stuffing. Never thought to try that out. Beautiful collection of root vegetables you've assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those roasted vegetables look delectable! I've tried roasting brussels sprouts before and the flavor was a bit strong - I bet the mellow sweetness of the carrots and sweet potatoes would really balance that out. Cornbread stuffing looks yummy, too.

    I really love your ingredients photos in all your posts - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete