Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tofu and Vegetable Dumplings


Who knew dumplings were so easy to make! I've been searching for vegan dumpling wrappers for awhile now because all the ones I've come across contained egg. I finally discovered that I can purchase ones made with whole wheat and no egg from my local Asian market.

It takes a little while to get the hang of how to properly fold a dumpling. I noticed that when I added too much water to the outside edges of the wrapper, I had trouble sealing them. But after about 20 dumplings in, I started to figure out what I was doing wrong and was able to correct it.

I made them in batches of 10...steaming 10 while folding the next batch. It took me a little over an hour to make all 40 dumplings. My family really loved them and it went well along side the hot and sour soup.


Makes about 40 Dumplings

Ingredients
* 1/2 pound firm tofu, pressed and drained, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
* 1/2 cup grated carrots
* 1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage
* 2 Tb finely chopped red pepper
* 2 Tb finely chopped scallions
* 2 Tb finely minced fresh ginger
* 1 Tb chopped cilantro leaves
* 1 Tb soy sauce
* 1 Tb hoisin sauce
* 2 tsp sesame oil
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* bowl of water, plus additional for steaming
* 35 small vegan pot sticker wrappers
* vegetable spray for steamer

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl add the tofu, carrots, cabbage, red pepper, scallions, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

To assemble the dumpling...

2. Remove one wrapper from the package, covering the others with a damp cloth. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with water.

3. Place 1/2 tsp of the tofu mixture in the center of the wrapper.

4. Fold over and seal, pressing down with your fingertips. You may leave it like this or you can continue to shape it. I watched this video, which really helped me learn how to properly shape them.

5. Set on a sheet pan and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat procedure until all the filling is gone.

6. Using a steaming apparatus of your choice, bring 1/2 inch of water to a simmer over medium heat. Spray the steamers surface lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Place as many dumplings as will fit in the steamer without touching each other. Cover and steam for 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat. Remove and repeat until all dumplings are cooked.

13 comments:

  1. wow tofu dumplings look really mouthwatering! And so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look real yummy! I have to try to make my dumplings with tofu sometime. Where I live I can't find vegan dumpling paper, so I have to make my own dough. Pretty easy actually. I will post the recipe someday soon on my blogg.

    Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first and only time I've ever eaten a dumpling was at a Chinese vegan restaurant in Winnipeg. They were amazing. Like perogies, but cuter! Or maybe since I'm so used to perogies, they just seem old hat :P! I think I'm going to have to attempt these sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty! I love how they become translucent when they steam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant. Just got myself a steamer the other week and I've been looking for something to make. Guess I know what now. :)

    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful - I love seeing directions for things I'd never think to make at home. Your filling mix sounds right on, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the step by step photos are wonderful. and you my little lady, I have seen numerous photos of your tasty things on many a tumblr pages. You are widely adored by vegans and non vegans alike! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look delicious, I haven't had homemade dumplings in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos you take. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make tofu dumplings all the time, Jacklyn! They are really very good. Yours look great by the way. Ooh, and I need to ask my Asian store if they have vegan wonton. It's hard to find ones without egg...

    ReplyDelete
  11. where is the nutritional info does anyone know? thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look good, I like grilling mine after steaming. That way they have a nice little crispiness too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as I get my steamer I am making these...They look awesome and are making me very hungry at 2:45am!! :( :)
    very cute blog name btw :)

    ReplyDelete