Sorry I haven't been blogging much lately. I've been so busy and then I got the flu..I stopped cooking for about half a week and now that I began to feel a little better, I chose to make my favorite barbecue sauce from Veganomicon's cookbook.
After trying this sauce a year ago, I have never bought barbecue sauce again. Really cheap to make and a lot tastier than many sauces that I have tried in the past. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Makes 8 cutlets
* 2 pounds firm tofu, drained and pressed, cut widthwise into fourths
* 4 cups store bought barbecue sauce or homemade ( see recipe below )
* 4 Tb peanut oil
* 2 Tb tamari
* 1 Tb canola oil
* 1 yellow onion, diced finely
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1 ( 28 ounce ) can crushed or diced tomatoes
* 1/3 cup molasses
* 1/3 cup white vinegar
* 2 Tb brown sugar
* 1 Tb yellow mustard
* 1 tsp liquid smoke
First prepare the sauce...if using store bought, skip to step 6
1. Over medium heat in a saucepan, heat the oil and place the onions in the pan. Saute until browned, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
3. Add the salt, red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, molasses, white vinegar and sugar. Cook for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the mustard and liquid smoke. Cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Puree using an immersion blender if desired.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
7. In a large baking sheet, dredge the tofu in the peanut oil and tamari to coat on both sides. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the slices and bake for 15 more minutes.
8. When the tofu is done baking, pour the sauce over it, smothering it all over. Return to the oven and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
I just wanted to share some recent shots of Taffy. He found a new spot in the yard and has been sleeping cuddled up by this tree for the past couple days. Oh and I also created him a facebook, if anyone wants to add him, here's his link : ]