I was given a slow cooker as one of my Christmas gifts, having never owned one before, I just had to test it out with this recipe. This recipe requires very little work..just some roasting of the chilies and cooking the boca crumbles. Then you simply pour all the ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away until its ready. You can also cook this over the stove but the flavors won't be as intense. Everyone should try out this recipe, I promise you won't be disappointed.
* 1 Tb canola oil
* 1 pound soy ground crumbles or shredded tempeh
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 ( 15 ounce ) cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 cups of corn kernels, fresh or frozen
* 1 ( 14.5 ounce ) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
* 1 ( 14.5 ounce ) can diced tomatoes
* 1 ( 14.5 ounce ) can tomatoes with chilies
* 4 anaheim chiles, roasted and diced ( directions for roasting here )
* Tortilla Chips
* Vegan Sour Cream
* Vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
* Green onions, chopped
* Pickled jalapeños
1. In a medium sized skillet, add the oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the soy ground crumbles and the taco seasoning, mix well. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Transfer the soy ground and onions to a slow cooker or a large stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, anaheim chiles. Cook on low in a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for 1 hour on the stove.
4. To serve, ladle soup into six individual bowls. Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and jalapeños. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.