I haven't had pound cake, in I don't know how long. I snatched this recipe from Veganomicon but I did make a couple of changes. I added Almond Milk because I didn't happen to have any Soy milk on hand. I also used tapioca flour instead of arrowroot powder. To me, they both do the same thing and I substitute one for the other constantly.
You can easily change this recipe to a Lemon Pound cake by reducing the vanilla extract to 1 tsp, doubling the lemon extra to 1 tsp and changing the vanilla yogurt to lemon yogurt.
Serve this alone or with freshly sliced fruit for an oh so good dessert!
Makes 1 loaf
Time : About 1 hour and 30 minutes
* 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
* 1/2 cup blended silken tofu ( blend the tofu first, then measure it out )
* 3/4 cup vanilla or plain soy milk
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup canola oil
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 tsp lemon extract, or 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
* 1/2 tsp orange extract, or 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 Tb arrowroot powder
* 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. A metal pan with a dark finish is the best choice for this cake.
2. In a large bowl, combine the soy yogurt, blended silken tofu, soy milk, sugar, oil, and extracts. Use an electric mixture to beat until everything is smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Sift in the flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine, then beat with electric beaters for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until a very thick batter forms. Don't overmix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Use the rubber spatula to scrape all of the batter out of the bowl and smooth the top of the loaf. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick or thin sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean ( a little moisture is okay ). Don't open the oven to peek for at least the first 45 minutes of baking!
This cake has a very thick batter and requires a well-preheated oven at just the right temp to rise properly. Allow the oven to heat for at least 20 minutes and, as always, use an oven thermometer.
For best results, use a pan that's no bigger than 9x5 inches. Using a 8x4 inch pan also works great.
Nutritional Info :
Per Slice ( 8 slices in a loaf ) : 275 calories, 1g protein, 1.22g carbohydrates, 17.9g fat, 299mg sodium, 30g sugar