This has to be my favorite stew recipe and my favorite recipe from Veganomicon. I did not include the TVP chunks because I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. I served it over brown rice with some freshly baked French rolls. The perfect meal for a cold winter night...comfort food to the max!
I am assuming most of you own a copy of Veganomicon? If not, I urge you to run out and buy it. Even though it has been out for awhile, I have not come across a cookbook that I enjoy as much as I do this one.
Time : 45 minutes
* 2 Tb olive oil
* 1 large onion, cut into medium size dice
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 tsp tarragon
* 1 tsp caraway seeds
* 1 tsp salt
* Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup red cooking wine, water, or vegetable broth
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup French lentils, rinsed
* 1 cup peeled, sliced carrots ( about 1/2 inch thick )
* 4 medium sized potatoes ( about 1 1/4 pound ) peeled, and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
* 1 ( 15 ounce can ) tomato sauce
* 3 cups water
* 1 cup TVP chunks ( I did not include this )
* 1 cup frozen or canned and drained lima beans ( green peas are fine also )
* 1 ( 15 ounce can ) kidney beans, drained and rinsed ( 1 1/2 cups )
1. Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the oil until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, tarragon, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Saute until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute more.
3. Deglaze the pot with the red wine.
4. Add the bay leaves, lentil, carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, water, and TVP chunks. Mix together. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
5. Remove the bay leaves. Add the lima and kidney beans and cook until heated through.