Since the Chinese New Year is only one day away ( February 3rd ), I thought I'd share with you guys one of my favorite fast food inspired recipes. This orange tofu tastes exactly the way I remember orange chicken to taste but of course is about half the calories and much healthier for you.
I also made some kung pao gardein chicken but it did not turn out as planned. I still need to experiment some more before I can share that recipe with you. Don't you just hate when that happens? I get so excited for a dish to only find out that it did not turn out as planned. What did work though was my fried rice. I used this recipe and it will continue to be my favorite fried rice recipe for awhile.
* 1 Tb minced fresh ginger
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 Tb canola oil
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 3 green onions, chopped
* 1 Tb mirin
* 3 Tb soy sauce
* 2 tsp brown sugar
* 1/4 cup rice vinegar
* 1/4 cup orange juice
* 2 Tb cornstarch or arrowroot, dissolved in 3 Tb water
* 1 lb firm tofu, press and drained
* canola oil spray
First prepare the sauce...
1. In a small sauce pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the red pepper flakes, green onion and mirin and cook for another minute.
2. Add the soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar and orange juice. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
To prepare the tofu...
4. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
5. Cut the drained tofu into bite sized pieces.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the tofu and spray the top of the tofu with canola oil.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tofu becomes golden brown at edges. Turn over tofu 10 minutes into baking.
8. Toss tofu in orange sauce and serve warm.