Friday, November 5, 2010

Chow Mein and Fried Rice



The days are going by fast. I can't believe this is already my fourth MoFo post. For today's post I will like to share a Chinese recipe that is most likely something that everyone has eaten before, chow mein and fried rice! I used fresh whole wheat noodles for my chow mein and it can be found easily at any Asian market. If you cannot find hoisin sauce, the chow mein will taste find without it, just add 2 of 3 more teaspoons of brown sugar.

The fried rice is also really simple to make and works great when you have old rice in your fridge and you don't really know what to do with it. I used white rice in mine but brown rice will work as well. This meal would totally be compete if you make some tofu orange chik'n on the side. A great Friday night Take-In Chinese dinner!

Printer Friendly Recipe Here

Chow Mein
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish

Ingredients

* 2 Tb canola oil
* 1 Tb ginger, minced
* 3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
* 2 celery stalks, chopped diagonally
* 1 cup broccoli
* 1 cup cabbage, chopped
* 1/3 cup vegetable broth
* 2 Tb soy sauce
* 1 tsp brown sugar
* 1/4 cup hoisin sauce ( optional )
* 2 tsp corn starch
* 1/4 cup bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
* 1/4 cup baby corn ears, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup bean sprouts ( optional )
* half a pound ( 8 oz ) fresh whole wheat chow mein noodles ( cooked as directed on package )
* freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped

Directions
Make sure everything is chopped and ready to go before you start cooking.

1. In a wok or large frying pan, add the oil and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add the onion, celery, broccoli and cabbage and saute for about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. While the vegetables are sauteing, start making your sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, soy sauce, sugar, hoisin sauce and corn starch.

4. Add the bamboo, baby corn and bean sprouts. Saute for 2 minutes, to heat through.

5. Add the noodles and mix well, using tongs.

6. Pour the sauce over the noodles and vegetables and toss. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until slightly reduced and thick, about 2 minutes.

7. Season with freshly ground pepper, to taste.

8. Transfer to a large bowl and garnish with green onions. Serve immediately.


Fried Rice
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish

Ingredients
* 2 cups white rice, cooked, either in water or Better than Bouillon's Vegetarian "Chicken" Stock (if using pre-made rice, make sure to warm it up and not use cold rice)
* 1 Tb canola oil
* 1 zucchini, diced
* 1 red bell pepper, diced
* 2 scallions chopped, white and green parts
* 1/2 cup frozen baby peas and carrots mix ( Ran over warm water in a sieve to defrost )
* soy sauce, to taste
* sesame oil, to taste ( optional )
* salt, to taste ( not really needed if using Better than Bouillon, which is already high in sodium )
* pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium high heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


2. Add the green onion and saute another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in peas and carrots and cook 1 minute longer.

4. Add the warm rice, breaking up any clumps with your spatula. Stir to mix all the ingredients.

5. Clear a small space in the middle of your pan and add the soy sauce. Immediately mix the soy sauce with the rice.

6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a drop or two of sesame oil if desired. Stir well.
Serve immediately.

12 comments:

  1. This looks so good. Thanks for the fried rice how-to...I can never get mine to come out the way I want it. I'm making your Daiya mac n'cheese recipe tonight...I can' wait!

    Happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was soooooooooo delicious. Thanks again for inviting me Jaky. I completely forgot about my other restaurant, glory what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, that looks awesome. I will try to hunt down ingredients for the Chow Mein and make is asap! Love your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! This is one of my family's favorite. Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chow mein looks especially good. Lately I've really been loving cabbage in stir fries or things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for doing this! I'm always looking for great ethnic recipes. Someday, maybe, I won't have to go out to a restaurant to eat those wonderful dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum...your chow mein looks better than a restaurants. You know I've never actually made chow mein. Add to my list of things to make. I checked out your orange chicken and my husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These both look wonderful, Jacklyn! I'm going to try your chow mein. Oh, and I've never seen that bag of frozen, organic peas and carrots at Whole Foods. I'll have to check for that next time-that's a very nice and easy Asian addition to a dish...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both stir-fries look wonderful, but I like the rice slightly more....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm craving Chinese take out in a big way now. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been far too long since I've had a proper chow mein, and not just noodles tossed in soy sauce. Thanks for the recipe, hopefully I can put it to good use soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the step by step pictures, can't wait to try it
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete