Happy Birthday to me! : D
Well actually my birthday was four days ago but I finally got around to posting this very yummy cake recipe. I am sorry I didn't take step by step pictures but I made this cake on the day of and was busy running around, trying to make sure I wasn't late for dinner.
I originally planned to serve this with some homemade whipped cream and fresh fruit but the recipe I tried to veganize did not work out as planned. Anyone have any good suggestions for a heavy cream substitute? Sadly, silken tofu did not do the trick. So as a last resort, I made a strawberry sauce, which worked out perfectly.
I'll be attempting to make a wedding cake this August, so get ready to see lots of cake recipes here as I play around with different flavors to find the perfect one : ]
Makes 2 Eight Inch Round Layer Cake
* 1 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature
* 3 cups sifted all-purpose or cake flour
* 1 Tb baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cups sugar
* Egg replacer, equivalent of 4 eggs ( I used Ener-G Egg Replacer )
* 1 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk ( 1 cup soy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle )
* 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* Zest of 2 lemon
* 1 cup soy milk
* 1/4 cup water
* 2 Tb cornstarch
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup lemon juice
* 2 tsp lemon zest
* 1/2 cup vegan margarine
* pinch of salt
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
* 16 ounces fresh strawberries
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tsp lemon zest
First prepare the Lemon Curd
1. In a small saucepan, dissolve the cold soy milk, water and cornstarch.
2. Turn heat to medium high and continuously keep stirring the mixture. Add the butter, lemon juice and sugar and continue to stir until it is brought to a boil and starts to thicken.
3. Reduce to low heat and beat with a hand held beater for 2 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to use. ( Can be made 2 days in advance )
Next make the strawberry sauce
5. Combine the strawberries, sugar, water and lemon zest and cook until the berries are soft and the liquid is thick, about 10 minutes. Mash the strawberries slightly, if desired.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Lastly make your cake
7. Preheat oven to 350 F. If not using a springform pan, butter two 8 by 2 inch round cake pans; line the bottoms with parchment paper. Dust bottoms and sides with flour; tap out excess.
8. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
9. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed until lightened, about 3-4 minutes; scrape down sides once or twice.
11. Drizzle in egg replacer, one at a time, beating after each addition until batter is no longer slick; stop once or twice to scrape the sides.
12. On low speed, alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk, a little at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
13. Beat in vanilla extract and lemon zest.
14. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake 25 minutes and then rotate the pans in the oven for even browning. Continue baking until a cake tester inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 10 to 20 minutes more. Transfer pans to wire rack to cool, 15 minutes. Turn cakes out, set on racks, tops up, until cooled completely.
15. Remove the parchment paper from each cake. Using a serrated knife, slice each layer in half horizontally. Set aside the pretties layer for the top of the cake.
16. Place another dome layer, dome sized down, on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup lemon curd over surface and 1/2 inch away from edges. Place second cake layer, over the first, and spread another 1 cup lemon curd over top. Repeat with third cake layer and remaining cup of curd. Transfer partially assembled cake to the refrigerator.
17. Just before serving, place reserved dome on top of cake.
To Serve - Slice into 10 servings and top with strawberry sauce.