I thought I'd make my favorite stew one last time before summer arrived. I love this stew because it is packed with veggies and is a little different from the stews I normally make. I've been using these Gardein Beef-Less Tips in so many recipes. They are so yummy and work wonderfully in recipes such as this. If you aren't a fan, 1 1/2 cups of chickpeas would be a great substitute.
Printer Friendly Recipe Here
* 1 Tb all-purpose flour
* 1 package Gardein Beef-less Tips
* 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
* 1 medium yellow onion, cut into medium dice
* 2 stalks celery, cut into medium dice
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
* 1 Tb minced garlic
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 tsp chopped fresh or dried thyme
* 1 tsp chopped fresh or dried rosemary
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 2 1/2 cups vegan "beef" broth ( try Better than Bouillon brand ) or vegetable broth
* 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* 2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
* 2 cups chopped collard greens
* Brown rice, for serving
1. Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium high. Add the beef-less tips and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Add the onion, celery, mushroom, salt and pepper, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, stir to well and cook an additional minute.
3. Add the garlic, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, red wine, "beef" broth. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 40 minutes.
4. Add the parsnips, turnips and collard greens, stir well, and cover once again. Simmer an additional 30 minutes or until turnips and parsnips are softened. During the last 10 minutes stir in the beef-less tips.
5. Remove bay leaf and serve over brown rice.