Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chocolate Chip Brownies


Brownies, who doesn't love them. I thought I'd make these for my boyfriend as a nice surprise, since brownies are his absolute favorite. I added 1/2 cup of chocolate chips for an extra something. This batter is really easy to make and there is hardly any work needed. Eat these alone or with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream as the ultimate dessert.


Ingredients
* 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips, divided
* 1/4 cup non dairy milk
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup canola oil
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. Melt 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips, either using a double broiler or by placing them on high in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir the partially melted chocolate chips and microwave again for 30 seconds.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the non daily milk, sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract. Mix on high speed for 1 minute.

4. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until well mixed. Then mix in the melted chocolate chips.

5. Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Spread the batter in the baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.


6. Remove from the oven and let cool. To serve warm, allow to cool for about 30 minutes. Slice and serve.

17 comments:

  1. Those brownies look very moist even without eggs. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, they look delicious!!
    I'm going through a huge chocolate-craze right now, and I just wish I could eat one of those right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a batch in the oven right now. Can't wait to taste them. My three year old is sitting with the bowl licking it clean! So I can tell you, she approves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan, as soon as summer is officially here, to work on baking some brownies. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these tonight for my little brother's graduation party and they were delicious! Possibly the best vegan brownies I've made. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made sure to get some chocolate chips just to make these tonight! yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i made these yesterday and they turned out really well! just wanted to ask a couple of quick clarification questions:

    1. did you find your batter barely covers the 9x13 pan? i had to do some creative spreading; just want to make sure i didn't miss something! it all worked out fine in the end, though.

    2. it's 2/3 cup melted chips, then 1/2 cup 'regular' chips at the end, right? (just wanted to double-check because the ingredients list says 1 cup, divided)

    anyhow, these turned out pretty darn well for me, and i've had rotten luck with brownies lately. so, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Yeah it didn't really cover the pan, but once it started baking, it kinda made its way around the edges of the pan on its own.

    2. Yes, 2/3 cup melted into the batter and then 1/2 folded into the batter last.

    Im glad they turned out good : ]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had any brownies in ages. Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these tonight, they are so yummy. Added in a handful of frozen berries and worked a treat. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, those brownies look PERFECT! Crispy on top and slightly fudgy in the middle. ahhhh, i'm bookmarking this recipe! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM

    These look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how easily these come together, and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the second week in a row I've made these. I changed a couple things; I used 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup coconut oil, and used some spelt flour with the All Purpose flour. I added peanut butter chips WITH the chocolate chips! SOOO GOOD!!! Thanks for this recipe. It is now my official "Go To" brownie recipe.

    ReplyDelete