I know we still have awhile until Thanksgiving but I just love pumpkin pie and I enjoy baking it year round. I usually make mine with tofu, which comes out okay but doesn't taste exactly like how I remember pumpkin pie to be. I decided to convert a regular dairy pumpkin pie recipe to a vegan one. The only challenge was making a vegan version of sweetened condensed milk. The secret to this is soy milk powder, which I found at Whole Foods. The condensed milk makes a world of difference and now I can't even tell that this pie is vegan!
Sweetened Condensed Milk
* 3/4 cup water
* 3/4 cup dry soy milk powder ( Try Better than Milk brand )
* 6 Tb non-dairy margarine
* 1 1/2 cups vegan sugar
Pumpkin Pie Mix
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can of pumpkin puree ( not pumpkin pie mix )
* 1 recipe of vegan sweetened condensed milk ( equal to 14 ounces )
* 2 Tb cornstarch
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 9" unbaked pie crust or 12 mini pie crusts
First make the condensed milk...
1. In a small saucepan, mix together the water and soy milk powder under medium heat until boiling. Turn off heat and set aside.
2. In another small saucepan, melt the butter under medium heat. Slowly whisk in the sugar until its all incorporated.
3. Add the hot milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 F...
4. Whisk together the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, cornstarch, spices and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
5. Pour into crust and bake for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 F and bake for another hour or until a knife inserted one inch from the crust comes out clean. Cool and store in the refrigerator.