Basil Cilantro Pesto
* 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
* 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
* 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds
* 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
* 2 Tb fresh lemon juice ( from about 1/2 lemon )
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Place the basil, cilantro, almonds, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and blend until pasty, scraping down the sides occasionally.
2. With the food processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until relatively smooth and no large chunks of almonds are left. If you don't have a food processor and are using a blender, then just add the olive oil at the end, since many blenders aren't equipped with an opening to drizzle into.
* 3/4 lb fusilli pasta
* 3/4 lb bow tie pasta
* 1/4 cup good olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups pesto ( see recipe above )
* 1 ( 10 ounce ) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
* 3 Tb freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 1/4 cups Veganonise mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
* 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
* 1/3 cup pignoli, optional ( pine nuts )
* 3/4 tsp kosher salt
* 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan,peas, pignoli, salt and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.