Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cabbage Rolls with Brown Basmati Rice




Last week I randomly thought of one of my favorite comfort foods from my childhood. My mom used to make the best cabbage rolls, but sadly not as often as I would have liked her to. I decided I had to try to recreate the cabbage rolls I remembered as a kid, in a vegan form. I searched online, combined two different recipes, made some changes here and there and ended up with this recipe. When I took the cabbage rolls out of the oven, I immedietly was bought back to the good old days, sitting around the dinner table and enjoying her food. I hope this will become one of your favorite meals as well.


Makes 8 cabbage rolls

Ingredients

* 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup diced zucchini
* 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
* 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
* 3/4 cup vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup bulgur
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 large head cabbage
* 6 tablespoons Soy Parmesan cheese, divided
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce ( I use The Wizard's Organic Vegan Worcestershire )
* 1 cup Brown Basmati Rice, cooked as directed on package ( I use Village Harvest Brown Basmati )

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or unless most of the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside eight large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut about 1 inch across the bottom of each leaf to remove its thick vein.
3. Stir 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and lemon juice into vegetable mixture.
4. Place about 3 to 4 Tablespoons of the vegetable mixture on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll to completely enclose filling. Start placing each roll in a large cassarole dish.
5. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
6. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining Soy Parmesan cheese.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great i am trying it today,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe for the first time a couple of weeks ago and both my husband and I loved it. Neither of us is vegan or vegetarian. I am making it again today for company. Thank you! (PS. Both times I assumed there was a step missing in the instructions, that of adding the rice to the vegetable mixture. I only just realized that the rice is to be served separately. I guess that's why I ended up with more cabbage rolls than what the recipe called for, but it was delicious nonetheless.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article. I really like the fresh perceptive you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
    Organic Basmati Rice

    ReplyDelete