The signs of summer approaching has been gradually increasing. Lately the temperature has been in the mid to high 80's and when that happens, I never feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Cooking over a boiling pot is the last thing I want to do during those hot summer months. This recipe is really fast to make, considering all your really have to do is saute a few vegetables and throw it in the oven. It was also incredibly filling and very scrumptious.
Serves 5 to 6 ( Shows 2 servings in picture above )
* 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
* 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 Tb olive oil
* Cooking Spray
* 6 ( 9 inch ) whole wheat tortillas
* 1 1/4 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese ( I like Daiya or Follow Your Heart )
* Optional : Vegan Sour Cream ( I use Follow Your Heart ) and Pico De Gallo Salsa
1. Over medium-high heat, in a large non-stick pan, add olive oil and allow to warm. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add bell peppers, zucchini, onion, and mushrooms. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until tender.
2. To assemble quesadillas: Warm up the tortillas on the stove top or microwave, that way they are softer and easier to work with.
3. Get one tortilla and lightly coat one side of it with cooking spray. Place the coated side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a little cheese evenly over half of the tortilla and layer the vegetable mixture over the cheese, fold in half. Continue the same procedure with the remaining tortillas.
4. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 F, or until cheese has melted.
5. Cut into wedges and serve with vegan sour cream and pico de gallo salsa if desired.