Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pasta E Fagioli



Today I decided to make Pasta E Fagoioli, which when translated means, pasta and beans. The best part about this dish is that you get to make your own pasta sauce, and I don't mean buying a can of diced tomatoes and seasoning it. The taste difference between using a can of tomatoes and dicing fresh tomatoes is enormous. The time required to make this pasta is very little and it is also very filling. This would work great as a weekend dinner or something to serve to guests.

On another note, I hope everyone has a happy and safe Fourth of July tomorrow! What's everyone's plans? I am not quite sure yet where I want to go. I wish I could have a little barbecue in the backyard but out here in Southern California, fireworks are not allowed in residential areas. Oh and I hear somewhere that the Fourth of July is the day that the most dogs run away from home. So if any of you have dogs, please make sure they are in a place where they cannot go wondering off. I think I am going to bring my cat in for the night..I don't know if it's a Siamese thing but he gets very jumpy to any little thing. But anyways, once again, I hope everyone has an awesome day tomorrow! : ]


Serves 2-4

Ingredients - For the Sauce
* 2 Tb olive oil
* 6 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 pounds plum tomatoes, diced medium
* 1/4 cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* a few dashes of black pepper
* 1 tsp salt

Ingredients - For the pasta
* 16 oz can white beans, washed and drained
* 1/2 pound small tube pasta, like penette or tubetti, or even small shells

Directions
1. Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta and preheat another large pan over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic to the large pan and saute for about 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant. Add the tomatoes, wine, thyme, oregano, black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat until the tomatoes are broken down and sauce is reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, add pasta to the water and cook according to package directions. Once the sauce is thickened, simmer on low heat to keep warm. Drain pasta and set aside.

3. When sauce is finished, add the beans and pasta and use a pasta spoon to mix. Serve when pasta and beans are heated through, about 3 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jacklyn, these sounds delicious! I used to make something kind of similar with fresh tomatoes, but I haven't lately b/c it's so hard to find good tomatoes! Around here it is at least...
    A wonderful vegan dish. Now what cheese do you recommend for it (smile)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know, my problem is I find tomatoes but the price is always so high.
    I sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese on top of mine. It's from a brand called Soya Kaas but I'm sure any other brand would do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed SUCH a big difference when I made my own pasta sauce. Mmmm tasted so much better.

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete