Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chickpea "Tuna" Sandwich



I'm sure everyone knows how to make a mock tuna sandwich but just in case you don't here's the recipe I use. I tend to make this on lazy Sunday afternoons when I don't know what to eat and I want to make something fast. When it comes to taste, I'd say that this has a less fishy taste than how I remembered a tuna sandwich to taste. But to me, this is a plus because I was never a big seafood fan to begin with. Serve this with a bowl of soup or alone for a comforting, filling meal.


Ingredients
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained or 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas
3 Tb vegan mayo
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 carrot, julienned
2.5 Tb minced dill pickle
1 green onion, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp kelp powder
pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork ( I also found that adding them in little quantities in the blender, also gets them to the right consistency without all the extra work of mashing by hand).
2. Pour out to a medium sized bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well and serve on your choice of bread.

3 comments:

  1. one of my favorite things to eat, i include capers in mine. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. capers really? i must add some next time and try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

    Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete