Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Corn Bread



Cornbread! The plan was to wait until Friday, when I am making Gumbo but I couldn't wait! Oh so many things I haven't eaten in so long, since going vegan. I had my boyfriend's nieces help me make this ( which means they did everything and I just did the clean up ), since they too are dying to bake.

The bread was prepared and ready to eat in under an hour. I like to eat my cornbread with a little spread of Earth Balance margarine. Oh and in case you don't have a cast-iron skillet, which I do not, any other baking pan will work just as well. I used a 9" cake pan and the end result was perfect.

Printer Friendly Recipe Here

Ingredients
* 2 cups plain soy milk
* 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
* 2 cups cornmeal
* 1 cup corn flour, or masa harina, or all-purpose flour (I've notice that corn flour or masa harina gives the corn bread a stronger corn taste than just adding plain flour)
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/3 cup oil

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the cast iron pan and place it in the oven to warm while the oven preheats, then proceed to prepare corn bread.

2. Combine the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside to curdle as you prepare everything else.

3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Create a well in the center and add the soy milk mixture and oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix together until just combined; some lumps are okay.

4. Pour the batter into prepared cast-iron skillet. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes, until a toothpick or butter knife inserted through the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool just a bit before serving.

8 comments:

  1. I love adding jalapenos to my cornbread to make it hot hot hot! This bread looks mighty fine and I could probably eat the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know..I would've added it too but my boyfriend's nieces are only 6 and 8...they can't handle the heat as well as we can : ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great call Rikki on the jalapenos. I love jalapeno corn bread, although my wife wouldn't like it. I never realized that corn bread is made in a cast iron skillet. Is the vegan version the same dryness as the non vegan version?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some jalapeno cornmeal muffins early this year, but I used corn flour and they were delcious. Have yet to attempt making cornbread traditionally in a cast iron pan. The cornmeal you used, what grade is it? I only have fine, will that work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn bread isn't big in the UK, in fact to be honest it's non-existent! But I remember making it once years ago to go with a chili or something I was making. Love the idea of adding jalapeno as my tooth is definitely more savoury than sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok its settled then..too much talk about jalapeno corn bread goodness..Friday when I post the gumbo, I'll make the cornbread with jalapenos!

    Tender Brranson - The dryness is exactly the same as with the non vegan version. Since technically, everything is the same except you change dairy milk to soy milk.

    Mangocheeks - Yes, my cornmeal was also fine. Not sure what grade it is because I bought it in bulk from Whole Foods. I would say its just a tad thicker than flour, but not much.

    Carol - You should make some! Stand out from the traditional European. Show them what they are all missing : ] I never knew cornbread wasn't popular there..very interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooooove corn Bread! And your recipe sounds not difficult. I should make one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know how it turns out! : ]

    ReplyDelete