Monday, December 27, 2010

Apple Cranberry Pie





Hey guys! I hope you all had a great Christmas. Please forgive my absence but I've been going through some things at home and it has made it very difficult to blog. I feel so bad because I didn't do my usual step by step pictures for this post. But I promise to go back to my usual blogging starting tomorrow.

I love the idea of this pie because it is a great twist to one of my already favorite desserts, apple pie. I adore the fruit combination of cranberries and oranges, so I knew adding this to apple pie could only make it better. The added toasted oats on top, gives it a nice crunch but please do make sure to keep your eye on it while it bakes. I was running around preparing Christmas' dinner and didn't notice that the top was beginning to burn. I would say, let it bake no longer than 30 minutes and then cover it loosely with foil to prevent that from happening.

Printer Friendly Recipe Here

Ingredients
Crust ( From Veganomicon )
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 Tb sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/3 cup nonhydrogenated vegan shortening
* 1/4 cup cold water, plus 2 Tb if needed
* 2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Filling

* Juice of 1 orange
* Zest of 1 orange
* 5 cups of peeled, sliced apples ( about 5 apples )
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp cinnamon

Topping
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 Tb oats
* 2 Tb vegan butter, melted
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
1. Prepare the crust by following the directions here.

2. Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.

3. Making the toppings by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.

4. Add filling to cold pie crust and scatter the toppings over the filling.

5. Bake at 400 F until the juice in the center of the pie is bubbling, about 1 hour. ( If the crust or toppings is becoming too dark, cover the pie loosely with foil ).

6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.

5 comments:

  1. This does sound like a good combination to add more fruits to the apple pie - and I love the look of the apple slices in the side view. What a great dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit and more fruit does a pie good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacklyn! Your pie looks wonderful. The directions are pretty self explanatory too, so don't feel bad about no step by step instructions.
    Hope your 'things at home' get better by the way. I like the old proverb 'and this too shall pass' in reference to issues and such. Old Abe Lincoln was right about that...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pie looks beautiful and delicious! Hope everything is ok at home, or at least on the road back to ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJanuary 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

    I love vegan desserts, this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete