This is my last test recipe from Kim Barnouin's new cookbook. I did make some changes though, like cooking the tofu, adding guacamole and using my own refried beans recipe.
I see her tortas as a step up from what we all know tostadas to be. Stacks of baked tortillas, filled with sweet corn, tofu, cheese, guacamole and tomatoes.
This would be great to serve at a party or on a stay at home Friday night. They're also so fun to assemble and would be the perfect opportunity to get your kids involved in the kitchen. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Printer Friendly Recipe Here
Makes 4 Servings
Makes 4 Servings
* 1 ( 14 oz ) package silken tofu, drained and crumbled
* 1 cup sweet corn, fresh or frozen
* 1/2 package vegan taco seasoning or to make your with the recipe I used
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* 1/4 onion, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cups refried beans, canned or homemade
* 12 corn tortillas
* 1 cup vegan Cheddar cheese, shredded
* Pico de Gallo salsa and guacamole
1. Combine the tofu and taco seasoning in a medium bowl. Mix well.
2. Heat 1 Tb of canola oil in a medium skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and saute for 5 more minutes, or until slightly translucent.
3. Add the tofu mixture and corn and saute for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is heated through. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. To prepare the tortillas, you can either fry them on the stove or bake them at 400 F for about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Make sure to coat each tortilla with oil before baking.
5. To prepare the tortas, spread the beans on one tortilla and top with another tortilla. Spoon more beans on top of the second tortilla and top with the tofu mixture and guacamole. Place the third tortilla on top and top with pico de gallo salsa and cheddar cheese. Repeat to assemble the remaining tortas.