Here's another recipe from Kim Barnouin's "Ultimate Everyday Cookbook." This recipe stood out to me because we all know how popular Veganomicon's chickpea patties are. I wanted to see which I would prefer better.
After making these, I've decided that I love both! Veganomicon's patties are one of my favorites but are best served with mashed potatoes and veggies. Whereas these can go great on a bed of lettuce or served in pita bread. Both very different in taste but equally as good. My favorite part was the basmati rice that got incorporated in the patties..yum!
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 1/3 cup sliced green onions, both white and light green parts
* 1/3 cup light coconut milk
* 2 tsp evaporated cane sugar
* 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus 1/4 cup for coating
* 1 tsp curry powder
* 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 2/3 cup brown rice, cooked
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or toasted sesame oil, for pan searing
1. In a large food processor, combine the chickpeas and green onions. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the coconut milk, sugar, 2/3 cup of the breadcrumbs, curry powder, nutmeg and cumin. Stir together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
3. Stir in the brown rice and salt.
4. Mold into 10 mini patties.
5. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chickpea cakes to the pan in batches and saute until there's a nice golden sear on the bottom. Flip and sear on the other side as well. Continue with the remaining cakes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories : 170
Fat : 7 grams
Saturated Fat : 1 gram
Cholesterol : 0 mg
Carbohydrates : 23 grams
Fiber : 3 grams
Protein : 4 grams