Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Baked Corn Dogs





I've been wanting to make corn dogs for awhile now but as some of you may know, I cannot deep fry to save my life. So I started thinking about making them using Pillsbury dough but then I read that their products may contain animal ingredients, so I did not want to take that chance.

So my only other option was to make my own bread dough, which is something I don't mind doing at all. The bread in this recipe tastes exactly like the deep fried batter except it isn't as oily. A much healthier alternative to corn dogs if you ask me : ]


Ingredients
* 1 cup non-dairy milk, such as soy or rice milk
* 1 package dry active yeast
* 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
* 2 Tb light brown sugar
* 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
* 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and kneading
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp paprika
* 9 vegan hot dogs

Directions
1. Warm the milk to about 110 F in a small saucepan. Pour into a medium sized bowl, add the active yeast and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in the olive oil, cornmeal and brown sugar. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and paprika and stir to make the dough.

3. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead, adding more flour if it's too sticky, until smooth, about 5 minutes.

4. Shape the dough into a ball, place in a well oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until double in size, about 1 hour.

5. Meanwhile insert a wooden skewer into each of the hot dogs, set aside.

6. Preheat the oven to 450 F and lightly oil a large baking sheet.

7. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 9 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 10 inch length.

8. Wrap each piece around a hot dog, tucking and pressing to seal. Place each wrapped hot dog on the baking sheet.

9. Once done rolling, brush each dough wrapped hot dog with a little soy milk and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden.

23 comments:

  1. oh, yum corn dogs! your blog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please! You're awesome. These look sooo good, and I agree so much healthier than the fried kind or the possible animal-ingredient pilsbury dough kind! I see you like ketchup with your dogs...I'm a mustard gal...but these looks so yummy, I'd eat them with either one. Great job on the MoFo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I am SO making these!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are those Yves dogs? Do they actually taste good? Any hot dog I try tastes icky...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These corn dogs do look a lot less oily. This recipe is pure brilliance. I didn't think it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never a fan of corn dogs, but this post makes me think I need to give them a chance. They look really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything on your blog looks sooo professional and perfect!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't bring my self to deep fry stuff either, so baking is the perfect way to go for these. they look fantastic! did you go all out and eat fries and ketchup too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet cornbread on my corndogs. Your sound good - and they look so cute on the skewers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a big fan of vegan hotdogs but this looks good... Maybe I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look awesome! Definitely making these soon.

    How is the Earth Balance soymilk?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everyone! : ]

    Kat - I really liked this hot dogs. I couldn't tell that they were made from soy at all. They tasted normal.

    Rikki - Yes, I made fries too and some bbq beans!

    Cassie - It tastes exactly the same as Silk's Soy milk. I can't tell the difference. Both are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look seriously delicious! You lead a "green and healthy" life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit, I am somewhat fearful of veggie dogs in general, more so when they're on a stick... But these are easily the best and healthiest looking rendition I've seen yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, how did I miss this post?
    Anyway, these corn dogs look so good, Jacklyn. I wish you lived next door...!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so yummy, I'm not a deep fryer kind of gal either so I might just have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looooooove corn dogs but don't love when they're fried or unhealthy so these look completely amazing. Will definitely be trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We ran out of soy milk right after I asked you and Mama Jean's (local natural food market) carries Earth Balance instead of Organic Valley. It tastes just like Organic Valley to me, which is a good thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are lovely!!! I've never had a corn dog but I feel like if I don't have one of those in my hand soon I will not be able to be happy! OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but they are sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made these and they were amazing! Hadn't had a corn dog in years. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww that's so great to hear Amber! I'm glad I could help : ]

    ReplyDelete