Goulash can either be a soup or a stew but in this case more of a stew. It's a traditional Hungarian recipe but there are many other variations that exist in other countries such as Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Australia and even here in the US.
This recipe would be the most similar to the Australian version. I used shredded tempeh to substitute the ground beef that is traditionally used. For a soy-free version, substitute the tempeh with 1 to 1/2 cups of lentils. Just increase the water used to 2 cups because the lentils will soak up most of the cooking liquid.
It took less than a hour to cook this. The only real work needed is a little chopping of the onions and shredding of the tempeh. Other than that, this is one of those meals that does all the cooking for you. Enjoy!
Serves 4 to 6
* 1 Tb olive oil
* 1 to 1 1/2 pounds tempeh, shredded ( about 2 to 3 packages )
* 1 yellow onion, diced
* 1 cups water
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can of tomato sauce
* 1 ( 28 ounce ) can of diced tomatoes
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 2 tsp dried basil
* 2 tsp marjoram
* 2 tsp dried oregano
* 2 tsp dried rosemary
* 2 tsp thyme
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 Tb tamari
* 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 cup dried macaroni pasta
( I used a little shredded Daiya mozzarella cheese and minced parsley for garnish but this is not necessary )
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the shredded tempeh and saute another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add a little of the water to deglaze the pan and scrap up all the brown bits. Pour the rest of the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spices, bay leaf, soy sauce and pepper. Stir well, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add the macaroni, stir well, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and remove bay leaves. Season to taste with more black pepper and salt, if desired.
The weather has been so cold lately that Taffy has been laying in the sun all day. Really can't blame him : ]