Friday, November 26, 2010

Cranberry Orange Bread



So I had a lot of cranberries left over from Thanksgiving and I didn't really know what to do with them. Then the idea of a yummy pastry bread came to my mind. This bread is perfect to go with your coffee on a cold morning or as a great mid-day snack. It has a slight tartness from the cranberries but is also really sweet because of the orange juice. If any of you have leftover cranberries, as I did, I suggest you try out this recipe. You won't be disappointed! : ]


Ingredients
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 Tb orange zest grated
* 1 1/2 cup cranberries
* 1/4 cup margarine, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* egg replacer, equivalent of 1 egg
* 3/4 cup orange juice

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in orange zest and cranberries. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and egg replacement until light and fluffy. Stir in orange juice.

4. Beat in flour mixture until moistened. Pour into prepared loaf pan.

5. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. I have a lot of leftover cranberries as well and I like the idea of sweet and tart together as one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the photo of the bread with the cranberries around it. I also like cranberry with orange - this sounds like a great bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty bread, Jacklyn. The texture inside looks so nice. I would love a piece with a cup of hot tea right now! Ooh, I bet this would be pretty wrapped up as a holiday treat/gift too;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just checking in on you, Mamita. As superman or some comic hero said in a very valiant voice 'I will be back!'. Oh wait, I think that was just Arnold Schwarzenegger in some corny movie (smile)?! Anyway, I will be back;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, cranberries and orange sound great together, kind of like a homemade cranberry sauce but in bread form. I bet this was good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! that looks super tasty. I always stock up on fresh cranberries at this time of year... and fill my freezer so that I can enjoy them for a while longer. Thanks for a yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried your recipe today, though I added some nuts and apples. It was very easy and very tasty, even though I had to use dried cranberries.
    You can see it here: http://happyvfriends.blogspot.com/2010/12/pimped-cranberry-orange-bread.html
    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The orange zest in there sounds so good! Thanks for posting such a great recipe for the holidays!

    happygoluckyvegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. I don't have orange juice at home right now, so we will see how pineapple juice works!

    ReplyDelete