Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chocolate Strawberry Cake





So as you may already know, yesterday was my boyfriend's birthday. I've been waiting for this day because this was the first time I've ever baked a cake. Well something more elaborate than a simple one layer cake.

He told me he wanted a chocolate cake, so I did some searching online and found this recipe. This cake stood out to me but the only problem was that it is vanilla. So I went ahead and used the chocolate cupcake recipe from my Halloween spiders and just increased each ingredient needed and replaced the oil with butter.

If you want a simpler cake, try making only one layer of the cake and divide the frosting recipe in half. Perfect if you have a small family or a little gathering to attend to.


Serves 12

Ingredients
Cake ( I did this twice. Once for the top layer and again for the bottom )
* 1 cup soy milk
* 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup vegan margarine, at room temperature, plus more for pan
* 1 cup vegan cane sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder
* 3/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt

Frosting
* 16 oz vegan cream cheese ( such as Tofutti )
* 3 cups organic powdered sugar
* 1 cup vegan margarine
* 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Toppings
* 1 lb strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 8 or 9" round cake pan.

2. Mix in the soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl or cup and set aside to curdle, about 10 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.

5. Alternatively, beat in flour mixture and soy milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Too much mixing and your cake will turn out dense.

6. Spread batter in prepared pan.

7. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan and invert onto a wired rack to cool completely.

8. To make the frosting, add all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix well with an electric mixer until smooth.

9. Place bottom half on a serving plate.Arrange half the strawberries over bottom cake layer, top with half of frosting, leaving a one inch boarder.


10. Cover with top half of cake, cut side down. Top cake with remaining frosting, leaving a one inch boarder. Refrigerate cake and remaining strawberries separately, at least one hour or up to one day. Just before serving, spoon strawberries over cake.

18 comments:

  1. First time baking a fancy cake? You did it like a pro! Seriously, that cake looks good enough to sell in a a bakery. I love vegan choc cakes that use cider vinegar as the binder. The cake looks so rich, moist and chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rose. This is the kind of cake I would order for the someone special's birthday and then arrange a lovely tea party around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks wonderful! i love the strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This really looks incredible. Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, as always. I like this cake so much I want it for my birthday. I might have to find something besides strawberries, though, if they're not in season. I like the cream cheese frosting! I bet everyone enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and strawberry together is amazing. I've never tried a layered cake either. Your first attempt looks almost professional. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your first cake turned out beautifully, with all those luscious strawberries looking like red jewels against the white frosting. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jacklyn, this is a beautiful cake. I just saw it on Finding Vegan, and I knew it was yours before looking at the blog author (smile)!
    Ooh, you have a papaya tree too? That's so nice. I know parts of California are also subtropical like Florida. Are yours getting ripe right now? We seem to have a new ripe fruit once every day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! This is truly one of the indulging cakes I've seen. Great job on your first time in baking. I think you will have a perfect future in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful.I guess I better try this one for our wedding anniversary.Good for you that you did a great job on your first try in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you substitute something else for the margarine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can try adding vegetable shortening. That should work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Making this for after dinner tonight (Valentine's day). I have a heart shaped pan (and of course the sliced strawberries look like hearts). Just tasted the batter and it is literally the best chocolate cake batter I have ever tasted (vegan or reg.) and I bake a LOT. AND the kids loved it too (they are not vegan, so whenever a vegan recipe passes the "kid test" it is a winner!). Awesome Awesome recipe!!! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, really?! That's so nice to hear Sage. I am so glad your family liked it. Thank you so much for the nice compliment : ]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाMay 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM

    This looks spectacular!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very tempting, Jacklyn! I'm sure your boyfriend loved this recipe! My girlfriend also tried to bake for the first time today, and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete